Friday, January 5, 2007

Solitude

So, my husband just left today for his sabbatical trip to Sweden. He won't be back until August. I'll be going to see him during my spring break in March (the plane reservations for that are already booked) and then again in May or June, after the end of the semester (not yet set, and probably for two weeks rather than one). It feels lonely already, although I have lots to do to keep me busy: two conference papers both of which involve some new data; a couple of articles to finish up and get out; usual housekeeping chores; teaching, including a course that's mostly new and will be a lot of work though fun; personal writing. Yup. It'll be interesting to see whether I can get it all done, whether his absence will mean less distraction and thus more accomplished, or less help and thus less accomplished.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I would really miss my husband if he was gone for that long...hopefully you will get more accomplished and then enjoy each other more when you're together! I will say that distance does make the heart grow fonder in many cases. I'm forgetting, do you have any pets?

Dr. Moonbeam said...

Nope, no pets just now. We've talked about getting a dog after he gets back though. It didn't seem sensible to do that before he left, and we couldn't really have one before we'd moved into a house with a yard.

But we do expect to talk several times a week for half an hour each time or so; that's what we've done in the past and it really helps to keep in touch like that.

Sarah said...

Yes, it makes sense to wait until he returns home so he can help train a dog!

It's worth it to pay the money to talk on the phone across the miles. Otherwise it's hard to stay connected. (Although e-mail really helps!)